Basic Graduate School policies are stated in the Graduate School Handbook.
Students are not permitted to schedule courses outside the scope of the MCDB Program (i.e. those that are not core courses and approved electives) without written permission from their advisor and the Graduate Studies Chair. Decisions concerning elective course selection should be made in consultation with the advisor whenever possible. Students bear full responsibility for problems arising from failure to confer with their advisor regarding appropriate registration, failure to follow the advisor’s recommendations, or failure to comply with registration policies.
Graduate Associate (GA) Appointments typically are 50% time. In addition to the requirements listed on the Graduate Associate Appointment Contract, the following regulations apply:
- Prior to passing the Candidacy Examination, GA's must be registered for at least 8 credit hours during each semester a 50% or greater appointment is held, except Summer Semester when the minimum credit hours are 4. Doctoral students who have passed the candidacy examination register for three credit hours each semester (including Summer).
- Graduate Fellows or Trainees must register for 12 credit hours each semester a 50% appointment is held, except Summer Semester when the minimum credit hours are 6. Doctoral students who have passed the candidacy examination register for three credit hours each semester (including Summer).
- GA's are expected to perform their duties in a satisfactory manner.
- GA's may not hold other jobs without written permission from the GSC.
- Students must maintain a minimum overall GPA of 3.0, as well as a minimum 3.0 GPA in MCDB core courses.
- Students are expected to maintain satisfactory progress (in academics and research) toward the degree.
Students who have passed the Candidacy Examination register for a maximum of 3 credit hours per semester and are required to be enrolled every semester (except Summer*) until graduation. (*However, students cannot receive a GA stipend unless enrolled.)
Registration for more than 3 credit hours requires prior written permission from the advisor and the GSC.
Explicit registration instructions will be provided each term. Registration is done online. Students should consult the Master Schedule of Classes each semester for detailed information regarding web registration instructions, class numbers, deadlines, fees, etc.
Prior to registration, new International students are required to attend the Office of International Affairs (OIA) Orientation to release the SEVIS hold from your student record.
Note to returning students: After an absence of one or more years or after completing a Master’s degree, you must obtain permission from the GSC to re-enroll.
Rev: October 2013