The MCDB Graduate Studies Committee consists of the director or two co-directors, at least five other members of the MCDB faculty, and a student representative (usually the president of the Graduate Student Organization). The director or co-directors serve as the chair or co-chairs. Additional faculty can be appointed to the committee at the discretion of the director or co-directors.
Committee members are appointed by the Program director or co-directors. Both mentoring and non-mentoring MCDB faculty are eligible. The term of service is three (3) years and is renewable at the discretion of the director or co-directors.
The Graduate Studies Committee oversees and administers the program and acts as a liaison between the Graduate School and the faculty. The Committee's actions may be modified or reversed by a petition of a majority of the Program faculty. The Graduate Studies Committee is responsible for formulating Program rules including those concerning faculty membership, student admission, transfer, registration and degree requirements, and for overseeing the appointment and supervision of the program's Graduate Associates. Standing tasks include:
- Faculty membership: The Graduate Studies Committee reviews new faculty applications for membership.
- Admissions: The Graduate Studies Committee reviews new student and transfer applications and manages the acceptance process.
- Recruitment: The Graduate Studies Committee oversees, participates and assists in the recruitment process.
- Curriculum/courses: The Graduate Studies Committee makes recommendations on new course proposals, and reviews areas of specialization and their alignment with Training Grant requirements.
- Fellowships/awards: The Graduate Studies Committee makes recommendations on fellowship and award nominations and drafts letters to support nominations.
- Program assessment and development: The Graduate Studies Committee coordinates assessment activities and makes recommendations on alignments with Training Grant and Program Project Grant applications.
Rev: July, 2018